PostgreSQL cluster solution

From: Serge Fonville <serge(dot)fonville(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL cluster solution
Date: 2009-12-23 07:31:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

For a while now I am looking for a suitable cluster solution.

I want a multi-master solution since that would best spread the write load.

I looked into pgpool, pgcluster, cybercluster
They all seem very suiotable.

I had a strong preference towards pgpool until I read in the docs that
serial values aren't equal unless table-loking is enabled.
> Replicating a table with SERIAL data type, the SERIAL column value may differ between the backends. This problem is avoidable by locking the table explicitly (although,
> transactions' parallelism will be lost). To achieve this, however, the following change must be made:

Does anyone here have a good idea which would be best?

What I want
Mutli master
Failover and failback (if that makes sense for a multimaster solution...)
Synchronize after downtime
Load-balancing
Once a client is connected it stays connected to that server (possibly
through LVS)

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards,

Serge Fonville