PG 7.4 possible (probable) corruption?

From: "Steve Lane" <slane(at)soliantconsulting(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG 7.4 possible (probable) corruption?
Date: 2004-09-15 23:44:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all:

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think I'm looking at a corrupted table or database. We have a column that's sequence-driven, with a unique index, but we're seeing duplicate values in that column. We're also seeing duplicate OIDs in the affected table. And we're seeing this ominous message:

iep_db=# select distinct * into lavere_form_004 from iep_form_004;
ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 42551774

Does this look like some kind of corruption? any particular kind? Any tools out there to help us determine the nature and extent of the problem?

-- sgl