Re: Role membership and DROP

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Role membership and DROP
Date: 2019-11-13 22:17:06
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> I realized only today that if role A is a member of role B,
> A can ALTER and DROP objects owned by B.
> I don't have a problem with that, but the documentation seems to
> suggest otherwise. For example, for DROP TABLE:

> Only the table owner, the schema owner, and superuser can drop a table.

Generally, if you are a member of a role, that means you are the role for
privilege-test purposes. I'm not on board with adding "(or a member of
that role)" to every place it could conceivably be added; I think that
would be more annoying than helpful.

It might be worth clarifying this point in section 5.7,

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-priv.html

but let's not duplicate that in every ref/ page.