Re: PG 7.4 beta 2: COPY IN, arrays, and double quotes bug.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bertrand Petit <pgsql-bugs(at)phoe(dot)frmug(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 7.4 beta 2: COPY IN, arrays, and double quotes bug.
Date: 2003-09-10 06:39:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bertrand Petit <pgsql-bugs(at)phoe(dot)frmug(dot)org> writes:
> One of the attribs value is piped to the backend as {"3/4\""}, this is
> how the array appears on the wire, and PG rejected it with the
> following message, as submited to syslog:

> postgres[90257]: [51-1] ERROR: malformed array literal: "{"3/4""}"

Seems like a client-side quoting bug to me. Backslashes have to be
doubled at the sending end, because COPY itself will do one level of
backslash processing.

If the client-side code is ours, then it's our problem, but you did not
say what you are using...

> P.S.: despites that this PG vresion was CVS updated after the release
> of beta 2, it still identifies itself as beta1:

Sounds like you didn't re-run configure after updating. I doubt that
affects the COPY issue above, but it surely might cause some other
problems. My invariable procedure for updating from CVS is a complete
rebuild:
make distclean
cvs update
configure
make
This costs a few machine cycles but I figure that's cheap compared to my
time puzzling out meaningless failures.