Re: initdb - creating clusters

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, gazzatav(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb - creating clusters
Date: 2020-07-13 07:40:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 12 Jul 2020, at 00:24, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>>> On 11 Jul 2020, at 23:36, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> + For example, there may be special scripts for creating a database
>>> + cluster. There almost certainly will be a mechanism for starting
>>> + the server,
>
>> Aren't we really talking about "running the server as a service" and not just
>> starting it? Perhaps thats hair-splitting territory?
>
> Yeah, but that terminology might itself be a bit platform-specific.

I guess thats a good point.

> I considered giving specific examples, like systemd unit files,
> but was afraid that that'd just confuse people on other platforms.
> Not sure what the best way to approach this is.

Hmm, since the section is aimed at reducing confusion for inexperienced users I
agree that adding more detail might be detrimental to the point.

Re-reading it with bug-reports etc in mind, I think the only thing that I
propose would be to expand the terminology for what a package is to be
"pre-packaged or vendor-supplied".

cheers ./daniel