Slow backups over VPN

From: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Slow backups over VPN
Date: 2014-04-29 18:13:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a tiny database that I need to take frequent backups of. The database is on a test server in our office. When I'm at the office, backups take only a few seconds. But when I am working from home, connecting to the office through a SonicWall VPN, backups take a few minutes. Other data transfer operations, like file copies, are reasonably fast. I've seen this behavior for databases using PostgreSQL8.4, 9.0 and 9.3. Can you suggest any way that I might get backups to be reasonably fast?

Thanks very much!

RobR