Re: Exclude constraint problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exclude constraint problem
Date: 2010-08-31 18:13:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> You need extra_float_digits cranked up. Which pg_dump knows about.

> I can't reproduce the problem with float4/8, but I still see a problem
> with floating-point timestamps:

Hmmm ... timestamp_out pays no attention to extra_float_digits, but just
arbitrarily rounds off at six fractional digits. Maybe we should change
that. Although I'm not certain it would result in any strong guarantees
anyway, because of the extra arithmetic involved in timestamp I/O
conversions. As you say, it's irrelevant for Alex's problem; and maybe
it's not worth working on now that float timestamps are deprecated.