Re: [GENERAL] Debugging SQL queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: Anastasios Hatzis <ahatzis(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Debugging SQL queries
Date: 2006-05-11 14:56:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general

Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We have actually removed the "at character N" bit from the default message format in CVS
>>
> What will the error format be for 8.2?

In CVS tip you just see

regression=# select 1 2;
ERROR: syntax error at or near "2"
LINE 1: select 1 2;
^
regression=#

We still include "at character N" if the message is written to the
server log, but the "primary message text" field of the error report
sent to the client doesn't have it any more. This could still be
revisited if anyone's really unhappy about it, but ISTM that if the
client app is holding up its end about using the error-position field,
putting it in the text is just clutter.