Re: pg_upgrade 9.4 -> 9.5 with pg_trgm fails for me

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade 9.4 -> 9.5 with pg_trgm fails for me
Date: 2016-01-08 17:38:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:23:21AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> A suggestion is to run the pg_upgrade with -r switch, which will leave a
>> litter of files in your working directory. Some of them will be named
>> like pg_upgrade_dump_NNN.custom and should be custom-format, schema-only
>> dumps of your 9.4 installation's databases. If you'd be willing to send
>> those to me off-list, maybe I could figure out what's happening.

> The list stalled the attachment so here as PM.

Well, you shouldn't have tried to send it to the list; there's no need
to memorialize half a megabyte of transient data in the archives.

After digging through this, I figured out the problem: you'd installed
pg_trgm into the pg_catalog schema, whereas when I was testing I'd just
dropped it into the public schema. That confuses pg_dump into not
emitting the shell type that it should emit. It's an easy fix now
that I see the problem.

This bug does *not*, AFAICT, explain any problem you might have with
"dump" transfers, only with pg_upgrade.