Re: CREATE TABLE .. PARTITION OF fails to preserve tgenabled for inherited row triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE .. PARTITION OF fails to preserve tgenabled for inherited row triggers
Date: 2020-10-20 19:56:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, next question: should we backpatch a fix for this? (This applies
> all the way back to 11.) If we do, then we would change behavior of
> partition creation. It's hard to see that the current behavior is
> desirable ... and I think anybody who would have come across this, would
> wish it behaved the other way. But still -- it would definitely be a
> behavior change.

The behavior change seems like it'd be an improvement in a vacuum,
but I wonder how it would interact with catalog contents left behind
by the old misbehavior. Also, would we expect pg_dump to try to do
anything to clean up the mess? If so, allowing a back branch to have
had more than one behavior would complicate that greatly.