Re: pg_restore problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bradley Miller <bmiller(at)nuvio(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore problem
Date: 2005-02-02 21:24:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bradley Miller <bmiller(at)nuvio(dot)com> writes:
> I'm attempting to restore a dump from one server to another (one is a
> Mac and one is a Linux base, if that makes any difference). I keep
> running into issues like this:

> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: function
> public.random_page_link_id_gen() does not exist

Is this a problem of items in the dump being in the wrong order (ie,
there's a forward reference to random_page_link_id_gen())?

> Any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

Use 8.0 ... or use pg_restore's -L/-l options to manually adjust the
load order. Pre-8.0 versions of pg_dump are easily fooled if you use
ALTER to make earlier-created objects reference later-created objects.