Re: Old versions of Test::More

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Old versions of Test::More
Date: 2017-04-21 18:49:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/21/2017 10:45 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> As we discovered yesterday via jacana, very old versions of Test::More
>> don't support the note() function. It therefore seems prudent to specify
>> a minimum version number for the module in those scripts that use the
>> function. According to the changelog, version 0.82 (released in Oct
>> 2008) should be sufficient. So I suggest the attached patch.
> Maybe it'd be better to put the minimum-version check somewhere central,
> like PostgresNode.pm? I suppose that our use of "note" will expand,
> and I can't see us remembering to put this into all and only the specific
> tests that use "note". Especially if there's no comment about it.

I'll add a comment, but doing it in PostgresNode.pm would mean jacana
(for instance) couldn't run any of the TAP tests. I'mm looking at
installing a sufficiently modern Test::Simple package (includes
Test::More and test::Build) there, but other oldish machines could also
be affected.

cheers

andrew

--