Re: Created feature for to_date() conversion using patterns 'YYYY-WW', 'YYYY-WW-D', 'YYYY-MM-W' and 'YYYY-MM-W-D'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Lorenz <postgres(at)four-two(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Created feature for to_date() conversion using patterns 'YYYY-WW', 'YYYY-WW-D', 'YYYY-MM-W' and 'YYYY-MM-W-D'
Date: 2019-12-20 17:24:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Lorenz <postgres(at)four-two(dot)de> writes:
> I got the advice to split the patches for:
> - fixing the to_char() function
> - changing the to_date()/to_timestamp() behaviour
> So I appended the split patches.

I'm a bit skeptical of the premise here. The fine manual says

In to_timestamp and to_date, weekday names or numbers (DAY, D, and
related field types) are accepted but are ignored for purposes of
computing the result. The same is true for quarter (Q) fields.

You appear to be trying to change that, but it's not at all clear
what behavior you're changing it to, or whether the result is going
to be any more sensible than it was before. In any case, this is
certainly not a "bug fix", because the code is working as documented.
It's a redefinition, and you haven't specified the new definition.

Another point is that these functions are meant to be Oracle-compatible,
so I wonder what Oracle does in not-terribly-well-defined cases like
these.