Re: Out-of-memory error reports in libpq

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: Out-of-memory error reports in libpq
Date: 2021-07-29 00:25:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> Hm. It seems we should be able to guarantee that the recovery path can print
>> something, at least in the PGconn case. Is it perhaps worth pre-sizing
>> PGConn->errorMessage so it'd fit an error like this?
>> But perhaps that's more effort than it's worth.

> Yeah. I considered changing things so that oom_buffer contains
> "out of memory\n" rather than an empty string, but I'm afraid
> that that's making unsupportable assumptions about what PQExpBuffers
> are used for.

Actually, wait a minute. There are only a couple of places that ever
read out the value of conn->errorMessage, so let's make those places
responsible for dealing with OOM scenarios. That leads to a nicely
small patch, as attached, and it looks to me like it makes us quite
bulletproof against such scenarios.

It might still be worth doing the "pqReportOOM" changes to save a
few bytes of code space, but I'm less excited about that now.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
improve-libpq-OOM-reporting-2.patch text/x-diff 3.0 KB