Re: CHAR vs NVARCHAR vs TEXT performance

From: Rob <postgresql(at)mintsoft(dot)net>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CHAR vs NVARCHAR vs TEXT performance
Date: 2019-04-30 09:43:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I agree in principle, however in this particular scenario it's not
our schema so we're a little reluctant to migrate the types etc.

We're in a bit of a bad place because the combination of NHibernate
+ npgsql3/4 + this table = seqScans everywhere. Basically when npgsql
changed their default type for strings from VARCHAR to TEXT it caused
this behaviour.

I suppose the follow up question is: should drivers
default to sending types that are preferred by postgres (i.e. TEXT)
rather than compatible types (VARCHAR). If so, is there a reason why
the JDBC driver doesn't send TEXT (possibly a question for the JDBC
guys rather than here)?

Thanks,
Rob