Database Corruption, Tables, Databases missing

From: Alan Donald <critirc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Corruption, Tables, Databases missing
Date: 2005-04-24 09:43:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a few databases running on a postgres database server.

Everything was working fine and then yesterday when I logged in, there
were a few databases that are missing. These tables cannot be seen in
the pg_database table. Also I cannot see these tables via pg_admin and
understandable so.

Please tell me what the issue is, why it is happening and how I can I
restore the database.
What do I need to do to make sure that this does not happen in the future ?