Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname
Date: 2021-10-12 17:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 10:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
>> You're asking us to imagine a counterfactual. But this counterfactual
>> bug report would have to describe a real practical problem.
>
> Yes. And I think this one should be held to the same standard: \d
> mydb.myschema.mytable not working is potentially a real, practical
> problem. \d sdlgkjdss.dsgkjsk.sdgskldjgds.myschema.mytable not working
> isn't.

I favor restoring the v13 behavior, but I don't think \d mydb.myschema.mytable was ever legitimate. You got exactly the same results with \d nosuchdb.myschema.mytable, meaning the user was given a false sense of security that the database name was being used to fetch the definition from the database they specified.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company