Re: Postgresql 8.0.3, symbolic link to /var/lib/pgsql/data/base

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeffrey Tenny <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0.3, symbolic link to /var/lib/pgsql/data/base
Date: 2005-09-29 02:10:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeffrey Tenny <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net> writes:
> It's clearly selinux though. If I do this:
> /usr/sbin/setenforce 0
> Then everything works peachy for my testing.

OK, that's pretty conclusive as to the source of the issue.

> It's interesting that there are no permission denials
> logged in /var/log/messages, but postgresql
> says it can't access /var/lib/pgsql/data/base
> because permission is denied (in the postgres log).

I've run into this more than a few times myself. What I've been told
when I complained about it is "that's normal because selinux log
messages are rate-limited to avoid inflating the log files too much".
Which is plausible in itself, but rate-limiting to zero is not helpful.
Feel free to file another gripe in Red Hat's bugzilla.