Re: Patch: incorrect array offset in backend replication tar header

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Brian Weaver <cmdrclueless(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: incorrect array offset in backend replication tar header
Date: 2012-09-27 22:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ah, yeah, that should also work I guess. But you could also just leave
> the the data in the temporary tarfile the whole time. IIRC, you can
> just cat one tarfile to the end of another one, right?

Not if they're written according to spec, I think. There is an EOF
marker consisting of 2 blocks of zeroes (which pg_dump is failing to
create correctly, but that's a bug not a feature). Possibly you could
strip the EOF marker though, if the file join code is allowed to be
something smarter than "cat".