Re: BUG #15225: [XX000] ERROR: invalid DSA memory alloc request size 1073741824 / Where: parallel worker

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frits Jalvingh <jal(at)etc(dot)to>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15225: [XX000] ERROR: invalid DSA memory alloc request size 1073741824 / Where: parallel worker
Date: 2018-06-06 14:38:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Frits Jalvingh <jal(at)etc(dot)to> writes:
> As far as that explain thing goes, the odd thing seems to be that /without/
> the explain the database uses a non parallel plan. If I execute the exact
> same statement without explain I see one postgres process running at 100%
> for a long time, then it produces its output proper.

This doesn't prove that the thing is non-parallel, only that the work is
badly distributed. You might try cranking up log_min_messages to the
point that worker-process launching gets logged, and then see whether
or not it's really non-parallel.

> - explain seems to somehow influence the plan that is being made.

That should absolutely *not* be the case.

> - there is a big problem with postgres memory assignment, because with the
> increase of parallelism having work_mem work per process means that you
> cannot effectively control the amount of memory that postgres uses anymore.

work_mem has always been like that. You cannot set it to any very large
fraction of your system's available memory, at least not globally across
a whole bunch of queries.