Re: ATTACH PARTITION seems to ignore column generation status

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ATTACH PARTITION seems to ignore column generation status
Date: 2023-01-11 20:58:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've updated your disallow-generated-child-columns-2.patch to do this,
> and have also merged the delta post that I had attached with my last
> email, whose contents you sound to agree with.

Pushed with some further work to improve the handling of multiple-
inheritance cases. We still need to insist that all or none of the
parent columns are generated, but we don't have to require their
generation expressions to be alike: that can be resolved by letting
the child table override the expression, much as we've long done for
plain default expressions. (This did need some work in pg_dump
after all.) I'm pretty happy with where this turned out.