Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables

From: 曾文旌(义从) <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 蔡松露(子嘉) <zijia(at)taobao(dot)com>, Cai, Le <le(dot)cai(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, 萧少聪(铁庵) <shaocong(dot)xsc(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date: 2019-11-07 09:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2019年11月7日 上午12:08,Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> 写道:
>

> On 06.11.2019 16:24, 曾文旌(义从) wrote:
>> Dear Hackers
>>

>> I attached the patch of GTT implementationI base on PG12.
>> The GTT design came from my first email.
>> Some limitations in patch will be eliminated in later versions.
>>
>> Later, I will comment on Konstantin's patch and make some proposals for cooperation.
>> Looking forward to your feedback.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Zeng Wenjing
>>

> Thank you for this patch.
> My first comments:
>
> 1. I have ported you patch to the latest Postgres version (my patch is attached).
> 2. You patch is supporting only B-Tree index for GTT. All other indexes (hash, gin, gist, brin,...) are not currently supported.
Currently I only support btree index.
I noticed that your patch supports more index types, which is where I'd like to work with you.

> 3. I do not understand the reason for the following limitation:
> "We allow to create index on global temp table only this session use it"
>
> First of all it seems to significantly reduce usage of global temp tables.
> Why do we need GTT at all? Mostly because we need to access temporary data in more than one backend. Otherwise we can just use normal table.
> If temp table is expected to be larger enough, so that we need to create index for it, then it is hard to believe that it will be needed only in one backend.
>
> May be the assumption is that all indexes has to be created before GTT start to be used.
Yes, Currently, GTT's index is only supported and created in an empty table state, and other sessions are not using it.
There has two improvements pointer:
1 Index can create on GTT(A) when the GTT(A) in the current session is not empty, requiring the GTT table to be empty in the other session.
Index_build needs to be done in the current session just like a normal table. This improvement is relatively easy.

2 Index can create on GTT(A) when more than one session are using this GTT(A).
Because when I'm done creating an index of the GTT in this session and setting it to be an valid index, it's not true for the GTT in other sessions.
Indexes on gtt in other sessions require "rebuild_index" before using it.
I don't have a better solution right now, maybe you have some suggestions.