Re: planner chooses incremental but not the best one

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Nicolas Lutic <n(dot)lutic(at)loxodata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: planner chooses incremental but not the best one
Date: 2024-02-15 11:10:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/15/24 07:50, Andrei Lepikhov wrote:
> On 18/12/2023 19:53, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> On 12/18/23 11:40, Richard Guo wrote:
>> The challenge is where to get usable information about correlation
>> between columns. I only have a couple very rought ideas of what might
>> try. For example, if we have multi-column ndistinct statistics, we might
>> look at ndistinct(b,c) and ndistinct(b,c,d) and deduce something from
>>
>>      ndistinct(b,c,d) / ndistinct(b,c)
>>
>> If we know how many distinct values we have for the predicate column, we
>> could then estimate the number of groups. I mean, we know that for the
>> restriction "WHERE b = 3" we only have 1 distinct value, so we could
>> estimate the number of groups as
>>
>>      1 * ndistinct(b,c)
> Did you mean here ndistinct(c,d) and the formula:
> ndistinct(b,c,d) / ndistinct(c,d) ?

Yes, I think that's probably a more correct ... Essentially, the idea is
to estimate the change in number of distinct groups after adding a
column (or restricting it in some way).

> Do you implicitly bear in mind here the necessity of tracking clauses
> that were applied to the data up to the moment of grouping?

I don't recall what exactly I considered two months ago when writing the
message, but I don't see why we would need to track that beyond what we
already have. Shouldn't it be enough for the grouping to simply inspect
the conditions on the lower levels?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra