Re: ltree gist index errors and fill factor questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Broers <mbroers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ltree gist index errors and fill factor questions
Date: 2014-12-31 15:15:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Mike Broers <mbroers(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> We have an ltree column (tree_path) that has a gist index
> (index_nodes_on_tree_path). This is in a 9.3.5 database. Recently errors
> started occurring in the postgres log on some updates to this table:

> fixing incomplete split in index "index_nodes_on_tree_path", block 2358

> STATEMENT: UPDATE "nodes" SET "parent_id" = $1, "contents_id" =
> $2, "contents_type" = $3, "trough_code" = $4, "live_flag" = $5, "ordering"
> =$6, "id" = $7, "tree_path" = $8 WHERE "nodes"."id" = 127695

> ERROR: failed to add item to index page in "index_nodes_on_tree_path"

> Reindexing index_nodes_on_tree_path fixes the problem temporarily, but it
> returns.

That sure sounds like a bug, but we're unlikely to be able to find it
without a lot more info. Is there any chance you could extract a
reproducible test case? Presumably this would require a starting data
set and a series of updates to apply to it to provoke the error. We'd
only need the data that goes into this index, not any of the rest of
the table.