Re: BUG #4980: Dblink issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gaurav K Srivastava <gauravgkp(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4980: Dblink issue
Date: 2009-08-13 14:15:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Gaurav K Srivastava<gauravgkp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Please tell me how i make the dblink function available to posuser which is
>> non super user.

> I suspect you want some variant of "GRANT USAGE ON LANGUAGE ...".

C-language functions have to be created by a superuser. They might be
*used* by a non superuser afterwards, but you have to be superuser to
run the "dblink.sql" script. I'm fairly sure that GRANT will not
override this. Since anyone with the power to load arbitrary code into
the backend could make himself a superuser pretty easily, it's a bit
foolish to imagine that granting this privilege to non-superusers
is a good idea.