pg_dump enhancement proposal

From: Mark Hammonds <mhammonds(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump enhancement proposal
Date: 2009-11-12 19:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Everyone,

I recently spent some time comparing the various techniques used to
backup/export MySQL, SQLite, and PostgreSQL databases. So far, pg_dump
is the best tool I've used. I was well pleased with its efficient
syntax and functionality. However, I have two feature requests that I
think can make it even better:

1. View Based Exports

In addition to being able to dump specific tables, it seems useful to
be able to quickly specify and dump entire views.

2. Custom Query Exports

In my use of mysqldump, I found one feature very useful: the ability
to execute a custom SELECT. . .WHERE statement and then dump only the
results. This feature currently provides MySQL users with the ability
to quickly and easily export very granular data subsets, and I see no
reason why PostgreSQL users wouldn't benefit from the same capability.
While it is true that this functionality can already be achieved in
PostgreSQL using Copy, it seems to me that it would logically fit well
as an extension to pg_dump, especially since many beginning and even
some intermediate PostgreSQL users aren't aware of the alternatives.

If the community finds value in the above features, I would be glad to
begin developing them for possible inclusion in the next PostgreSQL
release.

Best Regards,
Mark Hammonds
Web Engineer