Fwd: How to change/replace an in-memory palloced tuple- tuple data

From: Fx <weimaraner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: How to change/replace an in-memory palloced tuple- tuple data
Date: 2004-09-21 16:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fx <weimaraner(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:32:09 -0300
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi there ,
i have this scenario :

- postgresql 7.5 ( with modified heap_* functions to retrieve data
from another dbms)
- the tuple's data is allocated in memory via palloc
(the tuple table slot and the heap tuple hold a pointer to the
data and not to the buffer pages nor hard disk data pointers)
- the changes (by now) gonna be implemented in sequential scans.

Having these , I need to modify the tuple after the ExecQual , and
after the projection so i can save memory , just changing the tuple to
hold a "hash" or compressed data , and decompress / or restore the
tuple data in the ExecSelect phase.

I tried to do this using the heap_modifytuple function , and
returning a "newSlot with a newTuple" instead the "resultSlot" but as
i suppose im missing something , can anyone help me ? or give me a
clue....

Thanks in advance..
Weimi..

--