Re: Annoying messages when copy sql code to psql terminal

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "A B" <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Annoying messages when copy sql code to psql terminal
Date: 2008-06-06 04:39:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:24 AM, A B <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Whenever I use copy-paste to run code in a terminal window that is
> > running psql, and the code contains a row like
> >
> > IF FOUND THEN
> >
> > then I get the words
> >
> > ABORT CHECKPOINT COMMIT DECLARE EXECUTE
>
> [...]
>
> As others have noted, you have tabs in your sql source. I'd advise if
> possible, not to use the tab character in sql, for this and other
> reasons.

Can you please elaborate on other reasons? I have never encountered any
_other_ reason!!

And 'using psql' is not reason enough to not indent your SQL code.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device