Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Volkan YAZICI" <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, "Klint Gore" <kgore4(at)une(dot)edu(dot)au>, Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>, avin_friends(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?
Date: 2008-06-04 15:00:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm planning to make a survey regarding PostgreSQL performance on
> OpenSSI. There are some obstacles mostly caused by shared-memory
> architecture of PostgreSQL, but that claim is -- AFAIK -- totally
> theoratical. There aren't any benchmarks done yet that explains
> shared-memory bottlenecks of PostgreSQL on an OpenSSI framework. If
> anybody have experience with PostgreSQL on OpenSSI, I'll be happy to
> hear them. (Yeah, there were some related posts in the past; but they
> were mostly noise.)

If you search for OpenSSI Postgres, you hit this link:

http://wiki.openssi.org/go/PostgreSQL_on_OpenSSI_enabled_Knoppix

I have done this setup and small test on it about an year ago. The
performance was horrible. I cannot say for sure, but I think, as OpenSSI FAQ
mentions it, it's because of the way Postgres works with shared memory.

I hope you find that article useful in starting your own experiment. Lets
hope there's some improvement since last year. Do let us all know the
results.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device