Re: bug in on_error_rollback !?

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: bug in on_error_rollback !?
Date: 2006-10-28 14:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/27/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> In psql, the psql
> parts follow the syntax rules of psql, the SQL parts follow the syntax
> rules of SQL. The syntax rules of psql in turn are inspired by Unix
> shells, sort of because psql is used that way. (Surely one wouldn't
> want the argument to \i be case-insensitive?)

A very good reasoning... I completely agree...

But you'd also agree that since the psql variables can (and most often they
are) used in SQL satements, we should consider making atleast \set case
insensitive!

postgres=# \set x 1
postgres=# select :x;
?column?
----------
1
(1 row)

postgres=# select :X;
ERROR: syntax error at or near ":"
LINE 1: select :X;
^
postgres=#

<Greg>
what harm allowing "\set on_error_rollback" would be: it certainly
won't break any existing scripts.
I wrote this feature (but someone else
chose the name!) and I still occasionally write it lowercase and wonder
why it isn't working. :)
</Greg>

I agree, we can't make every '\' command case-insensitive, but a few,
where it makes absolute sense, should be subject to reconsideration. We have
the choice of making it more user-friendly, and less confusing.

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com