Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8
Date: 2006-10-20 05:56:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/20/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> It doesn't say anything about
> being free of patents though.
>
> The Sourceforge project referred to in the article (but for which no
> link is given) seems to be this one:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/slicing-by-8

Yes. I had already mentioned that link in my posts.

The "files" section contains a zip archive, inside which there are three
> source files all of which state that the package, which is (c) Intel
> Corp. 2004-2006, is released under the BSD license, with this URL:
>
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html
>
> Again, no mention of patents anywhere.

I'll try to get in touch with the author and get the clarification.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com