Re: in failed sql transaction

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alban Hertroys" <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Ralf Wiebicke" <ralf(dot)wiebicke(at)exedio(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: in failed sql transaction
Date: 2006-09-25 12:10:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/25/06, Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl> wrote:

> In this case
> PostgreSQL does the right thing; something went wrong, queries after the
> error may very well depend on that data - you can't rely on the current
> state. And it's what the SQL specs say too, of course...
>
> [1] I'm not trying to imply that what PostgreSQL does is (in general).
> --

In an automated/programmatic access to the database, this might be
desirable; but when there's someone manually doing some activity, it sure
does get to one's nerves if the transaction till now was a long one.
Instead, the operator would love to edit just that one query and fire again!

Also, in automated/programmatic access, the programs are supposed to
catch the error and rollback/correct on their own.

I sure like PG's following of the standards, but usability should not be
lost sight of.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet(at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com