Re: [BUGS] BUG #2429: Explain does not report object's schema

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Cristiano Duarte" <cunha17(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #2429: Explain does not report object's schema
Date: 2006-05-16 18:49:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I agree... VERBOSE option can be made parameterised to include
additional information in the EXPLAIN's output.

I also agree that adding the schema name wouldn't add any
overhead, and I support Tom's suggestion: 'Possibly a reasonable
compromise would be for EXPLAIN to act like rule reverse-listing
does,'

But one should be wary of adding any other option that itself
might cause an overhead, especially when doing the ANALYZE.

For example, from the ones you suggested, 'showing other plans
considered by the optimizer' seems a bit of an overhead. As the number
of JOINed tables increase, so does the number of join permutations,
and trying to keep the plans (in any form) till we send the results to
client, would block-up considerable amount of resources.

On the other hand, we can add these options and keep a note in
docs saying that the presence of these particular parameters (to
VERBOSE) will affect performance, and if used in conjunction with
ANALYZE, ANALYZE might not give you the correct picture!