Fwd: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC
Date: 2006-05-07 10:15:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(missed the mailing list last time)
Hi William,

Thanks for the steps to succeed with vcproject. I am sure that
there will be a few more tweaks involved (like setting VC's include
path etc.). I will try to build it and consult/inform you if there is
any deviation from the README.

This will work as a starting point in understanding the
requirements for what I intend to do. As Magnus mentioned earlier, I
also wish to create the project that will not include the source files
like 'vcproject' does; instead, it will contain just the dsp and the
dsw (VC 6) files. Somebody interested in working with newer versions
of VS can use it's feature to upgrade these formats to the respective
version.

Chris, the on initial cursory look, the msvcgen.sh file stored in
the attic shows that your project uses some tool called jam to do the
magic. I would really love to have this functionality in the new port
we are developing. I will look deeper into it.

Thomas, I love the idea of eclipse; any platform, any language,
one IDE. I am downloading it right now. Can you please send in the
steps that you perform to setup the environment, including mingw
toolkit; I will try to grow on that. The idea of this effort is to
have a GUI IDE, with a slew of features that MSVC offers: Memory
window that allows you to edit memory inplace, call-stack window,
watches, quick-expression evaluater with class/struct support, etc.
etc. . If Eclipse can offer all these, then I dont think anyone would
mind using it insead of MSVC.

<Jonah>
...If you have a grudge, do something about it...
...a lot of us have more important things to work on than simple porting...
</Jonah>

That's exactly the point Mr Jonah. I am trying to do something,
and trying to leverage from the past experiences of others in the
community. Looking at these handful of the responses, it seems that I
am not alone in the quest for using a better IDE!!!

And, no one is forced to respond to a mail to criticize, rather
than help. If it is such a 'simple porting', may I ask why hasn't it
been attempted successfuly in so many years of PG's history? At least
I dont see anybody documening any such procedure. This 'simple
porting' will allow and pull-in a lot more talented devs than you and
I. Wish me luck in this effort Mr Jonah.

Gurjeet.