Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Date: 2019-06-04 15:27:31
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> There is something wrong here. On Debian Buster/unstable, using
> system tzdata (2019a-1), if /etc/timezone is "Etc/UTC":

> 11.3's initdb adds timezone = 'UCT' to postgresql.conf
> 12beta1's initdb add timezone = 'Etc/UCT' to postgresql.conf

Hm, I don't have a Debian machine at hand, but I'm unable to
reproduce this using macOS or RHEL. I tried things like

$ TZ=UTC initdb
selecting default timezone ... UTC

Is your build using --with-system-tzdata? If so, which tzdb
release is the system on, and is it a completely stock copy
of that release?

Given the tie-breaking behavior in findtimezone.c,

* ... Often there will be several
* zones with identical rankings (since the IANA database assigns multiple
* names to many zones). We break ties arbitrarily by preferring shorter,
* then alphabetically earlier zone names.

it's not so surprising that UCT might be chosen, but I don't
understand how Etc/UCT would be.

BTW, does Debian set up /etc/timezone as a symlink, by any chance,
rather than a copy or hard link? If it's a symlink, we could improve
matters by teaching identify_system_timezone() to inspect it.