Re: Let's stop with the retail rebuilds of src/port/ files already

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's stop with the retail rebuilds of src/port/ files already
Date: 2018-09-27 04:03:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2018-09-26 19:10:40 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm getting tired of having to make fixes like ce4887bd0. I think
>> we should rearrange things so that src/port/ and src/common/ compile
>> all their files a third time using shared-library-friendly switches,
>> put them into new .a files, and have libpq and the ecpg libraries
>> just include those libraries instead of what they're doing now.

> +1

Here's a partial patch for that: it adds the third build variant
to src/port/ and teaches libpq to use it. We'd want to likewise
modify src/common/ and fix up other callers such as ecpg, but this
seems to be enough to test whether the idea works or not.

I've tried this on Linux, macOS and HPUX and it seems to work in
those cases, but I'm not foolish enough to imagine that that's
exhaustive.

What I think would make sense is to push this and see what the
buildfarm thinks of it. If there are unfixable problems then
we won't have wasted time fleshing out the concept. Otherwise,
I'll do the remaining pieces.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
make-src-port-build-PIC-files-1.patch text/x-diff 12.5 KB