Re: Losing data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Garry Saddington <garry(at)schoolteachers(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Losing data
Date: 2008-06-20 04:49:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 14:06:38 Garry Saddington wrote:
>> The problem seems to have started last friday, when reports started to go
>> missing.

> Out of curiosity, what is your vacuum strategy?

If you're thinking "transaction ID wraparound", I believe we can rule
that out, because Garry says he's running PG 8.1. 8.1 is not terribly
proactive about preventing wraparound (no forced autovacuums), but it
will squawk loudly about impending wraparound and shut down before it
hits the wall.

My bet is that something was changed in the client-side software last
week that has broken its commit-issuing behavior.