Re: Upgrade mode will prevent the installer .... (pgAgent)

From: Kris Deugau <kdeugau(at)vianet(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade mode will prevent the installer .... (pgAgent)
Date: 2019-10-22 22:30:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Boylan, Ross wrote:
> I can't interpret this message, or figure out whether I should select the option or not.
> My main problem is that my intuition is that checking "upgrade mode" will perform an upgrade, but the text of the message seems to say that checking upgrade mode will NOT perform an upgrade.
>
> Since I don't know if images are OK, I'll try to transcribe the message:
> "Upgrade mode will prevent the installer from modifying the database cluster by loading pgAgent SQL scripts in preparation for upgrading from earlier releases of PostgreSQL using the pg_upgrade tool."

It's a fine example of twisty English that's been compacted down for
length instead of clarity; it took me a couple of passes to decide this
is probably what it means:

If you check the box, the installation process of pgAgent will not load
certain (any?) pgAgent scripts. These scripts are for pgAgent's own
internal use, when you upgrade Postgres itself using pg_upgrade.

> Context: Running the Windows Installer for v12 with v11 still installed on the machine. After the main install I selected several packages, including pgagent, which I also selected for v11. I have a mild preference for treating 12 as a clean install without migrating anything from 11, since it was just a test database.

It sounds like you probably want to leave this unchecked, based on "I
have a mild preference for treating 12 as a clean install without
migrating anything from 11".

-kgd