Re: Bug with dump/restore when using UNION and ORDER BY in views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kristian Eide" <kreide(at)online(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug with dump/restore when using UNION and ORDER BY in views
Date: 2002-08-04 03:06:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Kristian Eide" <kreide(at)online(dot)no> writes:
> There seems to be a bug when dumping a view which is a UNION of selects, one
> of which has an ORDER BY. A pair of paranthesises around the select is
> missing, and this cause a subsequent restore to fail.

Yeah. This is fixed in current sources, and I back-patched it into
the REL7_2 branch, but current plans don't seem to include a 7.2.2
release --- we'll be going straight to 7.3 beta instead.

If you're sufficiently annoyed to want to install a source patch
locally, see rev 1.89.2.1 at
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c

Note this is a server-side patch; the bug is not in pg_dump.
So using a 7.3 pg_dump against your existing server won't help.
You might want to apply the back-patch just so that you can
dump when the time comes to go to 7.3...