Re: Data dumps to files - best methods?

From: Ralf Schuchardt <rasc(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data dumps to files - best methods?
Date: 2010-07-26 11:44:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Am 26.07.2010 um 11:46 schrieb Machiel Richards:

> Is there a method of outputting / dumping the data into .xml format as part of the scripts / crons/ db processes?

It depends on your requirements of the xml file format.
psql can output data in html/xhtml format (--html switch), which might or might not be enough for you.

$ psql --html -c "select * from atable" adb > myfile.xhtml.part

Another way is to use the function described here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-xml.html#FUNCTIONS-XML-MAPPING
"query_to_xml" generates a proper xml version of the query results.

Ralf