Re: Grant question

From: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
To: <blindsey(at)cog(dot)ufl(dot)edu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Grant question
Date: 2004-01-29 16:00:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:52:56 -0500,
> Barbara Lindsey <blindsey(at)cog(dot)ufl(dot)edu> wrote:
>> What kind of grant do you need to give a user so that they can have
>> permission to do a "SELECT nextval(ID)" on a sequence?
>> I granted the user SELECT,UPDATE,INSERT,DELETE on all the tables,
>> including the one that has the sequence, but the sequence query is
>> failing on permissions.
>
> Sequences have permissions separate from tables. I believe you need
> update access to call nextval or setval on a sequence. This should be
> described in the documention on the GRANT command.

CREATE SEQUENCE paid.person_person_pk_seq
INCREMENT 1
MINVALUE 1
MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
START 232
CACHE 1;
REVOKE ALL ON TABLE paid.person_person_pk_seq FROM public;
GRANT ALL ON TABLE paid.person_person_pk_seq TO blindsey;
GRANT SELECT, UPDATE ON TABLE paid.person_person_pk_seq TO GROUP app_user;

~Berend Tober