Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-24 00:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If we had milestone snapshots of each 2 months ... probably just before
> each commit-fest ... and kept them available on ftp.postgresql.org until
> official beta, then it would make it easier for testers to have a common
> point of reference to work with.

This seems pretty entirely orthogonal to the commit-fest proposal.
I see no reason to think that snapshots taken at those times would
be any better than any other nightly snapshot, nor any reason
to memorialize them in an archive.

Now to the extent that regular commit-fests keep patch development
more closely aligned with the mainline CVS, the fest proposal might
indirectly alleviate your pain. But I'd think that snaps taken
*after* the fests would be the best for that, as they'd be closer
to what any subsequent development would be based on. The stability
argument I made doesn't seem like a problem for testing purposes,
only if someone were to try to use such a snap for production purposes
(which putting them up for archiving might encourage).