Re: pg_upgrade fails with non-standard ACL

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Arthur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Grigory Smolkin <g(dot)smolkin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade fails with non-standard ACL
Date: 2021-02-11 17:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28.01.2021 09:55, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 07:32:42PM +0300, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:

>>> I think you can observe it by adding "revoke all on function
>>> pg_stat_get_subscription from public;" to test_add_acl_to_catalog_objects.sql
>>> and then rerunning your test script. pg_dump will reproduce that REVOKE,
>>> which would fail if postgresql.org had removed that function. That's fine, so
>>> long as a comment mentions the limitation.
>> In the updated patch, I implemented generation of both GRANT ALL and REVOKE
>> ALL for problematic objects. If I understand it correctly, these calls will
>> clean object's ACL completely. And I see no harm in doing this, because the
>> objects don't exist in the new cluster anyway.
>>
>> To test it I attempted to reproduce the problem, using attached
>> test_revoke.sql in the test. Still, pg_upgrade works fine without any
>> adjustments. I'd be grateful if you test it some more.
> test_revoke.sql has "revoke all on function pg_stat_get_subscription() from
> test", which does nothing. You need something that causes a REVOKE in pg_dump
> output. Worked example:
It took a while to debug new version.
Now it detects and fixes both GRANT and REVOKE privileges on the catalog
objects.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade_ACL_check_v14.patch text/x-patch 15.9 KB
pg_upgrade_ACL_test.sh application/x-shellscript 3.2 KB
test_rename_catalog_objects_v14 text/plain 351.8 KB
test_add_acl_to_catalog_objects.sql application/sql 921 bytes