Re: 7.4RC2 PANIC: insufficient room in FSM

From: "Arthur Ward" <award(at)dominionsciences(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4RC2 PANIC: insufficient room in FSM
Date: 2003-11-25 20:20:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> "Arthur Ward" <award(at)dominionsciences(dot)com> writes:
>> I was a bit stunned last night when I found this in the server logs for
>> 7.4RC2 installation:
>
>> Nov 24 20:37:18 x pg_autovacuum: [2003-11-24 08:37:18 PM] Performing:
>> VACUUM ANALYZE "clients"."x"
>> Nov 24 20:37:19 x postgres: [13904] PANIC: insufficient room in FSM
>
> We have seen reports of similar things in situations where the real
> problem was that the lock table had gotten too big --- is it possible
> that you had something going on in parallel that would have acquired
> lots of locks? If so, raising max_locks_per_transaction should avoid
> the problem.

I've combed through the system logs, our data-acquisition daemon's log,
and web logs, and there's nothing indicating that there would be any more
activity than there is normally all workday. It normally gets auto-vacuum
hits during the day when there is a little more large-transaction activity
with no problems. In the wee hours of the morning, I have a process doing
bulk loads that locks about a dozen tables explicitly to avoid unnecessary
rollbacks, but that was at least four hours in the future (or finished
19-ish hours in the past). That load also runs without issue. So, no, I
can't say that there was anything out of the ordinary happening to cause
the panic.