Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-26 05:42:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25/09/17 22:13, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com
> <mailto:aht(at)ongres(dot)com>> wrote:
>

> On 25/09/17 20:18, Andres Freund wrote:
>
> On 2017-09-24 13:36:56 +0300, Alvaro Hernandez wrote:
>
>      However, if DMS uses it for what I'd call production
> use, I assume it is
> actually production quality. I bet they do enough testing,
> and don't ship
> software to potentially millions of customers if it
> doesn't work well. So...
> first, I'd consider this a a sign of robustness.
>
> You've been in software for how long? ... ;)  There's quite mixed
> experiences with DMS.
>

>     Actually long enough to understand that if someone "big" calls
> it production quality, we should not be pickier and assume it is
> --whether it is or not. People will accept it as such, and that's
> good enough.
>

> Historically the fact that we have been pickier than many of the
> "someone big":s is exactly how we ended up with the codebase and
> relative stability we have today.
>
> Just because someone is big doesn't mean they know what's right. In
> fact, more often than not the opposite turns out to be true.

    Note that I'm not here supporting test_decoding. I'm just saying is
all what is available in-core for 9.4-9.6, and it seems someone with
potentially a lot of users tested it and is using it in its own
solution. Ask me if I would like an in-core, well tested, performant,
with an easy to parse format, and efficient, for 9.4-9.6? My answer
would be an immediate 'yes'. But since this is not going to happen,
test_decoding is good that is good enough, lucky us, because otherwise
there would not be a good solution on this front.

    Álvaro

--

Alvaro Hernandez

OnGres