Re: how to run encoding-dependent tests by default

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: how to run encoding-dependent tests by default
Date: 2019-07-29 05:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-07-28 20:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> So I wish we could get rid of the Makefile changes, have the test
> scripts be completely responsible for whether to run themselves or
> not, and put them into the schedule files normally.
>
> It's pretty obvious how we might do this for collate.icu.utf8:
> make it look to see if there are any ICU-supplied collations in
> pg_collation.
>
> I'm less clear on a reasonable way to detect a glibc platform
> from SQL. The best I can think of is to see if the string
> "linux" appears in the output of version(), and that's probably
> none too robust. Can we do anything based on the content of
> pg_collation? Probably not :-(.
>
> Still, even if you only fixed collate.icu.utf8 this way, that
> would be a step forward since it would solve the Windows aspect.

Good points. Updated patch attach.

(The two tests create the same schema name, so they cannot be run in
parallel. I opted against changing that here, since it would blow up
the patch and increase the diff between the two tests.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Run-UTF8-requiring-collation-tests-by-default.patch text/plain 7.8 KB