Re: Handing off SLRU fsyncs to the checkpointer

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jakub Wartak <Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com>, "alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handing off SLRU fsyncs to the checkpointer
Date: 2021-01-03 14:35:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/25/20 9:09 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here's a new version. The final thing I'm contemplating before
>> pushing this is whether there may be hidden magical dependencies in
>> the order of operations in CheckPointGuts(), which I've changed
>> around. Andres, any comments?
>
> I nagged Andres off-list and he opined that it might be better to
> reorder it a bit so that ProcessSyncRequests() comes after almost
> everything else, so that if we ever teach more things to offload their
> fsync work it'll be in the right order. I reordered it like that; now
> only CheckPointTwoPhase() comes later, based on the comment that
> accompanies it. In any case, we can always reconsider the ordering of
> this function in later commits as required. Pushed like that.

Seems this commit left behind a couple unnecessary prototypes in a bunch
of header files. In particular, it removed these functions

- ShutdownCLOG();
- ShutdownCommitTs();
- ShutdownSUBTRANS();
- ShutdownMultiXact();

but we still have

$ git grep ShutdownCLOG
src/include/access/clog.h:extern void ShutdownCLOG(void);

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company