Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
Cc: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Review: Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies
Date: 2010-10-04 14:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi> writes:
> On 2010-10-04 6:19 AM, Steve Singer wrote:
>> Is there any third party code in particular that your thinking of? I don't
>> see anything that says pg_parse_and_rewrite is part of a stable server
>> side API (in contrast to SPI or something an third party index access method
>> or custom data-type would call).

> Nope. I think I grepped contrib/ at some point and none of those were
> using pg_parse_and_rewrite() so this is all just speculation. And yes,
> it's not really part of any stable API but breaking third party modules
> needlessly is not something I want to do. However, in this case there
> is no way to avoid breaking them.

The important thing in such cases is to not break third-party code
*silently*. You want to make sure that they'll get a compilation
error if they haven't adjusted their code. Change the parameter
list or invent a new name for the function.

In the particular case at hand here, I rather wonder why SQL functions
are depending on postgres.c at all. It might be better to just
duplicate a bit of code to make them independent. pg_parse_and_rewrite
would then be dead code and could be deleted.