Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: Philippe Schmid <phschmid(at)cadinfo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-18 20:17:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> If we had infinite resources this might make sense. We don't, so it
> doesn't. There is a real cost to producing a compatibility layer,
> and the cost will be those spiffy new features.
>
> Let's get recursive queries, MERGE, and a couple more things and
> they will still be chasing our heels.

As a users of both Postgres and MySQL, I would also say, better add
missing features to Postgres than chasing some specialties that are
going to vanish anyway in MySQL.

I miss :
- a core full-text indexing engine. Tsearch2 is nice, but not
included. This is a feature often used by PHP/MySQL packages.
- per table or column choice of char set/encoding
- better configurations or a tool to give the user some clue how to
optimize the postgres settings (I know, the pro will know every time,
but not every MySQL user - potential Postgres convert is a pro, by large

More high end features like these are also very welcomed...
- recursive queries
- better partitioning
- multi-master sync
- the compression thread is also interesting (cf IBM DB2 Viper about
this)

Till now, the postgres project managed to produce amazing stuff.
Keeping the project focused will very probably be more difficult as
more users are converted...

Best regards,
Philippe Schmid