Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages
Date: 2012-03-30 18:09:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mar 30, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:58, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Having all the specific-version pages use that to point to the
>> non-version URL might help.
>
> Ah, you mean basically a link on every page going back to /current/?
>
> That does bring back the whole problem of filenames/URLs being
> different between different versions of course..

Yup. It's much the same issue, so it'd be something to try as part
of the "add links to other versions" exercise. Simpler, as it'd be reasonable
to add rel="canonical" pointing to the current page only if the versioned
page has the identical filename.

i.e. /docs/<version>/<static-or-not>/tutorial-start.html would have
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.postgresql.org/current/static/tutorial-start.html">
in it's <head> for all versions, including the most recent.

It's sort of lying to the search engine categorizer, but might hint
it to do what we'd like. Whether it's a good idea or not, I'm not sure.
It'd be nice to get some hints from someone who understands SEO.

Cheers,
Steve